Data Privacy and Protection
Statement From U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker on EU-U.S. Privacy Shield
Tuesday, February 2, 2016
Today, U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker delivered the following statement on the completion of the EU- U.S. Privacy Shield.
“This historic agreement is a major achievement for privacy and for businesses on both sides of the Atlantic. It provides certainty that will help grow the digital economy by ensuring that thousands of European and American businesses and millions of individuals can continue to access services online.
Beyond being essential to transatlantic commerce, the EU-U.S Privacy Shield also underscores the strength of the U.S.-EU relationship. It demonstrates our commitment to working together as leaders in the global economy, promoting our shared values, and bridging our differences where they exist.
I want to specifically thank Commissioner Jourová and her team for their incredible, persistent work over the last two and a half years. It has been a long road, but we have turned a corner and now stand together on behalf of consumers and businesses on both sides of the Atlantic.”
- IP Privacy Shield (2016-02-29) (PDF 370 KB)
- Factsheet (2016-2-2)
- President Obama Signs the Judicial Redress Act Bill (2016-02-24)
- Ambassador Froman on the Benefits of the Digital Economy (2016-02-16)
- FTC's Commissioner Brill at Forum Europe 6th Annual Privacy and Data Protection Conference (2015-12-10)
- Ambassador Daniel A. Sepulveda's Remarks on the U.S. Privacy Framework and Signals Intelligence Reforms (PDF 108 KB) (2015-11-03)
- Statement from U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker on European Court of Justice Safe Harbor Framework Decision (2015-10-06)
Statement by President Obama on the USA FREEDOM Act (2015-06-04)
- White House Statement on Collection of Bulk Telephony Metadata Under Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT Act (2015-02-27)
- U.S. Export Policy for Military Unmanned Aerial Systems (2015-02-17) | White House Fact Sheet: Promoting Economic Competitiveness While Safeguarding Privacy, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties in Domestic Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (2015-02-15)
- Update on Implementation of Signals Intelligence Reform (2014-02-03)
- President Obama's State of the Union Address (2015-01-20)
- Attorney General Holder Warns on Foreign Fighters, Addresses Data Privacy (2014-07-08)
- Attorney General Holder Pledges Support for Legislation to Provide EU Citizens with Judicial Redress in Cases of Wrongful Disclosure of Their Personal Data Transferred to the U.S. for Law Enforcement Purposes (2014-06-25)
- Report to President Obama on Big Data and Privacy: A Technological Perspective (May 2014) (Blog about Report)
- White House Fact Sheet on Review of U.S. Signals Intelligence | Presidential Policy Directive -- Signals Intelligence Activities | President Obama on U.S. Signals Intelligence Review (video) (2014-01-17)
- Testimony by Acting Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division Mythili Raman on “Privacy in the Digital Age” (2014-02-04)
- U.S. Commerce Department General Counsel Cameron F. Kerry Keynote Address at the German Marshall Fund of the United States (2013-08-28)
- The Department of Justice hosted the initial meeting of the U.S.-EU/EU Member State dialogue on intelligence practices in Washington on July 8.
- Data Privacy: Five Myths About the U.S. Legal System
- Securing Cyberspace While Protecting Privacy and Civil Liberties (2013-04-02)
- Joint Statement on the Meeting Between Attorney General Eric Holder and European Commission Vice President Viviane Reding (2013-04-04)
- Remarks by former U.S. Ambassador to the EU, William E. Kennard, at Forum Europe’s 3rd Annual European Data Protection and Privacy Conference (2012-12-04)
- Remarks of United States Department of Commerce's General Counsel Cameron F. Kerry to the European Parliament, Interparliamentary Committee Meeting on The Reform of the EU Data Protection Framework: Building Trust in a Digital and Global World. Session VII: Data Protection in the global context - The transatlantic dimension (PDF 86k) (2012-10-10)